Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mushroom Chicken

If you love mushrooms, you've come to the right place. I've said it before, but I wasn't much (haha I just typed mush!) of a mushroom eater before Norris, but since he likes them so much, I started adding them to a lot of things and found myself clipping and marking more mushroom recipes than ever before. Just take a look at some of the mushroom dishes that have graced our table: (all of the links are clickable to take you to that recipe)
Balsamic Dijon Chicken with Mushrooms
Pasta with Creamy Wild Mushroom Sauce
Baked Lemon Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
Pan Roasted Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
Low Fat Creamy Mushroom Pasta
Mushroom Swiss Sliders with Spicy Fry Sauce
Easy Crockpot Mushroom Chicken
Chicken Mushroom Quesadillas
Chipped Beef on Toast
White Whisper Pasta
Mushroom Risotto (one of Norris' all-time favorites)

Wow....that's not even all of them--that's just the recipes that have quite a few shrooms in them. I didn't even realize I had made this many dishes with mushrooms. I did laugh when I realized how many times I have said that Norris loves mushrooms and that I didn't use to like them. Oops! It's like at school when you teach the same class more than once in a day--"have I already said that?" "well, I better say it just in case I haven't already said that!". Sorry kids!!:)

Anyway, back to the mushroom dish at hand, which was EXCELLENT!! We both loved this. My dear friend Steven (I won't use his other nicknames here:) gave this to me quite a while ago and I dug it out of the book today. Norris' first day of teaching is tomorrow and I thought I'd send him off with a meal he would love! Love it, he did! I know he's going to be an outstanding teacher and make a big difference in the lives of some lucky middle school kids!

oh wow, this picture is worse than I thought. My camera died at the exact moment I took a picture. This food is SO good, I promise!

Mushroom Chicken
adapted from Steven's recipe

4 boneless chicken breasts
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/3 cup sliced green onions

Season flour with salt and pepper and put on plate.
Heat pan to medium high heat with olive oil. Preheat oven to 375 F and grease small baking dish.
Pound chicken to 1/2 inch thick. Dredge in seasoned flour.
Brown chicken in hot oil, then transfer to prepared baking dish.
In same pan, melt butter, then saute mushrooms with salt and pepper until tender. Deglaze pan with chicken broth. Reduce liquid by 1/2 to 3/4.
Spoon mushroom sauce over chicken and bake for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake another five or pop under the broiler to melt the cheese. Garnish with green onions.

No comments: