Thursday, August 4, 2011

Flat and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookes

I have not strayed from my standby Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies in a long time, but for some reason Norris was requesting flat and chewy chocolate chip cookies. My cookies used to often turn out flat and I was always disappointed, but apparently I should have kept those recipes around because that's what my husband was craving!
The problem I had with the original recipe was that it wasn't that flat and it was really funny looking. After baking half of the dough, I seriously considered ditching the rest. Instead I mixed in about 1/4 cup extra sugar and they turned out just fine. I still prefer my other recipe, but Norris declares these are awesome. One site I saw the recipe on shows them as an ice cream sandwich and I do have to say that these would be the perfect cookies for that! The cookies are a little salty and I would love the contrast of the slightly salty cookie with the sweet ice cream. Yum!
Now if we could only figure out where the rest of the cookies went...we had a bag of them last Thursday night on the counter and now they're gone and neither of us know what happened to them!! Hopefully whoever had them enjoyed the rest of them:)



Flat and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 c all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 oz butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar (would change this to 2/3 to 3/4 cup)
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 c chocolate chips
2 cups chopped toasted walnuts (optional)

Cream together butter and sugars. Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, soda, and salt. Add this mixture all at once to the butter mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
Chill dough for at least thirty minutes. In the meantime, wash your dishes:)
Preheat oven to 325 F. Scoop dough by 2 tbsp balls onto lined baking sheet. Smash with a glass (put parchment or waxed paper between the glass and cookie so it doesn't stick). Bake for approximately 15 minutes.

as seen on Laura Rebecca's Kitchen from NY Times' Amanda Hesser

No comments: