Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shrimp Pasta with Cilantro Lime Pesto

I know I keep saying this, but this was another AWESOME dish!
When I did my menu plan last week, I planned on a fairly cool week so I had a shrimp soup planned. I got home from work sweating and knew soup would not cut it that night. I almost always stick to my menu plan, but I found myself searching for something to use similar ingredients, but not in soup form.
I love pesto, so I was excited to see a cilantro pesto, plus it had shrimp and feta in it, so I was sold! Norris and I both loved this dinner, and he doesn't even normally like meals with a lot of fresh herbs. I sprinkled the feta and crushed red pepper flakes on top, and the flavors blended perfectly. I would encourage you to try this very soon!!
**(two hours after the original post): Woah!! I just went to my cousin Amber's blog to print off her banana bread recipe, and I saw this recipe is at the top of her page!! I remembered seeing it somewhere before finding it through random search, and what a great source it is!!


Shrimp Pasta with Cilantro Lime Pesto

from Bon Appetit, July 2010 as seen on Erin's Food Files

1 1/4 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped (I used a bit more than this in the pesto portion of the recipe)
1/4 cup chopped green onions (used about 3 Tbsp chopped chives, since they were growing in the herb pot!)
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tbsp chopped seeded jalapeno chile (didn't have one, so used a little cayenne pepper instead)
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb pasta (used whole wheat thin spaghetti)
1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tbsp tequila (used reduced chicken broth instead)
1/4 cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese (used feta!!)
red pepper flakes (optional)

Blend 1 1/4 cups cilantro leaves, garlic, green onions, lime juice and jalapeno chile in food processor until blended. With motor running, slowly pour in olive oil and blend. Season with salt.
(can make pesto a day ahead of time--store in fridge)
Cook pasta according to package directions.
While pasta cooks, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in saute pan over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook until almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and add tequila (or chicken broth!). Return skillet to heat and stir until sauce is syrupy or about 30 seconds. Add pesto, stir to coat, and remove from heat.
Stir pasta into shrimp mixture. Divide into bowls and top with cheese, cilantro and red pepper flakes.
adapted from Tejas Texas Grill and Saloon

No comments: