Sunday, September 26, 2010

Crockpot Roasted Chicken

If you want tender, fall of the bone chicken without heating up your whole house with your oven (or done while you're at work!), this is the recipe for you! I just combined a bunch of different ideas I saw for this, so I'll type out what I wound up using. This is the easiest way to roast a chicken, considering clean up takes about 2 minutes! I put this in the crockpot, went to bed, and woke up to a great smelling kitchen and perfectly cooked chicken.
Just be certain your chicken actually fits into your crockpot--I was so bummed when I tried to put mine in my smaller one and it was like me trying to fit into size 2 jeans...more than a little tight!:) Luckily Norris reminded me of a larger one we had in the garage!

Crockpot Roasted Chicken
1 whole chicken (about 4 lbs.)
~3/4 cup chicken broth
3 garlic cloves, peeled
any seasonings you like
olive oil
foil
Prepare your chicken by cleaning out the inside (there is normally at least neck in there..Grandma, that doesn't scare me anymore, fortunately:). Save it for making stock sometime if you want!
Roll up three foil pieces into balls. This is so your chicken isn't touching the bottom of your crockpot and burning. Place them in a triangle pattern on the bottom of your crock.
Pour in the chicken broth and garlic cloves, then place your chicken on the foil balls. Rub it down with olive oil and any seasonings. (at least salt and pepper!!)
Cook on low for 8.5 to 9 hours. When you pull it out, it will be falling off the bones tender!
So tender and good smelling that if you have dogs, you should put them outside:) Don't worry, there wasn't any countertop licking involved. But look at Bear's face (if you can find the dark knight in the picture)--I think he thinks he got caught!

No comments: