Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Beef Enchiladas

I know, how many different enchilada recipes can one person post?


We were having a "fiesta" on Sunday night in honor of Anika's first night in town, and I wanted to make some things I could have done ahead of time, so I put together some simple enchiladas. Norris had bought a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup (don't ask why because I don't know either!) so I decided to put that in the sauce since I remember seeing that in some recipes before. I thought these were really great and had wonderful flavor, and I think our dinner guests agreed!!

No picture--I took one and posted it here, but then I realized it would definitely beat out any former contenders for worst picture ever, and you can hardly even tell what the picture was of. You'll just have to picture an enchilada in your head.

One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can assemble the whole thing the day (or month!) before and store it in the fridge (or freezer please if you are saving them for a month:) until you are ready to bake! Bake straight from the fridge or from frozen--place them in the oven BEFORE you turn it on if you are baking them in a cold glass pan.



Beef Enchiladas

1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground turkey
~1/4 to 1/3 cup taco seasoning
1/2 onion, small diced (optional..of course I left that out so the boys would eat it!)
3 cups shredded cheese

flour or corn tortillas (I made 10 large flour tortillas plus 6 small corn tortillas' worth)

16 oz enchilada sauce
16 oz cream of mushroom soup

Cook meat with onion; drain fat. Stir in taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
Warm tortillas so they are easy to roll, then fill each tortilla with meat and a sprinkle of cheese. Place seam side down in greased baking dish. Continue process until all tortillas are filled or the pan is full! Combine enchilada sauce and mushroom soup in bowl, then pour over the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake at 350 covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for another 15. The sauce should look baked into the tortillas and the cheese slightly golden brown.

No comments: