Sunday, January 24, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Soup

Norris claimed this to be nursing home food since it was a pureed soup, but I am really enjoying it! A student made ratatouille and had a bunch of leftover vegetables that he gave me, so I made this out of it and other random veggies sitting in my fridge on the verge of going bad. Appetizing sounding, I know:) This really is filling and hearty without many calories. I calculated it at about 80 calories per serving if you make 4 servings out of this.

Roasted Vegetable Soup

2 zucchinis
1 yellow squash
1 tomato
1/2 red onion
1/2 shallot
2 carrots
(you could add something like potatoes or parsnips here, or anything you want! mushrooms, garlic, other squashes, the possibilities are pretty endless)
3 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper,and any seasonings you like (I used a spicy garlic seasoning, salt and pepper, and cayenne pepper)



Roast all vegetables at 425 for about 40 minutes (flip halfway through) dressed in a little olive oil and salt and pepper.

Combine with chicken stock in food processor or blender and puree. (definitely get a better texture in the food processor!) At this point you could add a bit of milk or cream if you want, but I was really trying to limit the calories here. Return to heat and season to taste.

No comments: