Monday, January 11, 2010

Creamy Pralines

I fully intended to photograph these this morning when I got to school, but over the weekend, someone took it upon themselves to sample the ones I saved for the kids who were gone! I think the same person eats my gum and hard candy out of my desk. This is after I locked the door for the weekend. The person even left the bag sitting there open, but took the treats! Lame!!!

Anyway, these were really good. Be sure to use a candy thermometer and a large pot--on the first batch, the kids used too small of a pot, it bubbled over and they couldn't see the temperature marks on the thermometer, and pulled it too early so they didn't set up. But they tasted great--would be a wonderful sauce over ice cream! The second batch they got it, and they turned out great!

LouisianaCajun.com


Louisiana Creamy Pralines

2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup evaporated milk
¼ cup clear corn syrup
1 ½ cups pecans
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix sugar, baking soda, evaporated milk, and corn syrup together in a heavy pot.
Cook over medium heat stirring until mixture forms a soft ball in water. (approx 235 degrees)
Remove from heat, stir in butter, vanilla, and pecans.
Beat with wooden spoon until mixture thickens enough to drop by the spoonfuls onto wax paper.
Let cool.

No comments: