Monday, September 7, 2009

Lunchbox Edition I



With the start of school, I found myself forgetting to bring my lunch since I had been out of the habit all summer!! I don't want to rely on frozen dinners or granola bars, so I've been making larger batches of things to portion out throughout the week. Last week, I made Sweet and Sour Chicken stir fry (will post soon...really healthy stuff!) and a pasta salad, and I thought I'd try another pasta salad this week. It's about the easiest thing ever, since it uses tortellini which cooks in three minutes. I got it from Carrie, and it's from Taste of Home. Great lunch idea with grilled chicken, cucumbers, and tomatoes thrown in. This less than inspiring photo has none of those things since my husband wouldn't go for the veggies in it! (so maybe I should make it with veggies next time to guarantee it's around for a while....:)

Tortellini Salad

2 packages (9 ounces each) refrigerated tricolor cheese tortellini
4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and halved
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl, combine the tortellini, chicken, olives, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toss.



Hey! Look at our fence that's almost finished!!

No comments: