Friday, November 12, 2010

Pumpkin Chiffon Cake

Yum!! This light cake is a great dessert option this fall. It has the goodness of pumpkin with only 120 calories per serving. Plus I got to use my mixer to beat egg whites for the first time and it was wonderful to let egg whites go while I cleaned everything up:)
I forgot to dust the cake with powdered sugar and I was one egg short of a full recipe (Granddad, I'm sure you'll come up with a clever retort to that statement:). I didn't have quite enough sugar, so I replaced about 1/4 of a cup with Splenda. I also used a bundt pan instead of a tube pan, and I still thought it was awesome! It would be a perfect dessert to bring to any fall gathering and noone would even notice that it's a light dessert.


Pumpkin Chiffon Cake
Serves: 12
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs, separated (save both the yolks and whites!)
5 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
powdered sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Combine flour, 3/4 cup sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks and pumpkin puree.
Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the nine egg whites at medium speed until foamy (about 2 min).
With the machine on, gradually whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar; increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
Add 1/4 of the egg white mixture to the pumpkin mixture. Fold in just until no streaks remain. Do the same with the remaining egg white mixture.
Grease a tube or bundt pan and pour batter into ban. Bake until springy to the touch and tested done, about 55 minutes.
Let cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes, then turn out to cool completely on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

No comments: