Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Loaded Potato Soup

After we had this for dinner, Norris suggested that I make it for Christmas Eve. Wow! If a soup is good enough to be "Christmas Eve" soup, it must be good:)

There are some foods that I try a different recipe for almost every time, even if I like the one I tried last. It's like I need to be sure that I have exhausted all of my options before settling on a favorite. (on a side note, how do the people on those house shows sometimes buy the very first house they see?? I would be so anxious not knowing my options!!) In the case of this soup, I think I am done experimenting with potato soup recipes!


To sweeten the deal, this is a Cooking Light recipe, so you don't have to worry about trying to lighten it up, but it has all the flavor of a full fat recipe.
Loaded Potato Soup
Yield: 4 (1 1/4 cup) servings
4 (6-oz) red potatoes
2 tsp olive oil (I skipped because I didn't use the onion)
1/2 cup onion, chopped (didn't use)
1 1/4 cup fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp all purpose flour (I wound up using about 4 since I used skim milk)
2 cups 1 % milk, divided (used skim)
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 turkey bacon slices
shredded cheddar cheese and thinly sliced green onions for topping
Pierce potatoes with fork and cook in microwave on high for about 9 minutes, or until tender. Cut in half and allow to cool a bit.
While potatoes cook, heat oil in saucepan and saute onion for about three minutes. (skipped this step, went straight to the broth). Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk and add to pan along with the rest of the milk. Bring to a boil very slowly (so your milk doesn't curdle; I did this by starting on low heat and cranking it up a couple notches every few minutes, stirring frequently). Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
While milk mixture is coming to a boil, place turkey bacon on paper-towel-lined microwaveable plate. Microwave on high for four minutes. Crumble bacon.
While bacon cooks, peel and dice potatoes. After removing the soup from the heat, stir in potatoes (CL recommends mashing them in, but we prefer chunks over mashed potato soup) and bacon.
Top with cheese and green onion.
**This reheats beautifully! Doesn't separate or anything--perfect for lunches!

as seen on Prevention RD

No comments: