Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Black Bean Salsa Chili

This is a nice change for your fall soup arsenal (surely I'm not the only one who has an "arsenal" of soups??). Another recipe that's great to make a batch and have all week for work. It makes six generous servings, so there's even enough to share a little!
I got this recipe from a nice couple at my gym--they were telling me about the goats they're raising for meat, which is probably not something I'll be doing anytime soon, but they also offered me this recipe! She copied it out of some sort of magazine, and it says "Enlightened Cook" at the top. The "enlightened" part comes in the nutrition facts--puree beans to add a little bulk and use lean turkey instead of beef.
I didn't follow the part where you combine the lime juice, cilantro, and sour cream to top it with because I was bringing it in lunches, but I did squeeze the lime in at the end and I'm sure that would be excellent all mixed together for a topper!

Black Bean Salsa Chili

30 oz canned black beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 lb lean ground turkey
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 slices of bacon, chopped (I used turkey bacon)
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cups mild salsa
3 tbsp tomato paste
14 oz fat free, less-sodium beef broth (I used chicken)
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp fresh lime juice

Combine 1 1/2 cups beans, 2/3 cup water, and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. Combine bean puree and remaining beans in a bowl.
Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray; add turkey; brown and crumble. Remove turkey from pan.
Add onion, bell peppers, and bacon to pan; cook five minutse or until bacon and onion are lighlty browned.
Return turkey to pan; add chili powder, oregano, cumin, and crushed red pepper to pan. Stir well to coat. Stir in bean mixture, salsa, tomato paste, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for thirty minutes, stirring occasionally.
In a small bowl, combine sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve chili topped with sour cream mixture.

Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings

Per Serving: Calories: 249; fat: 4.7 g; carbs: 39 g; protein: 17 g
(nutrition facts without sour cream)

**I froze half of this and got it out the next week for lunches, and it tasted just as great!

1 comment:

Amber said...

You are most certainly not the only one with a soup arsenal! I am always looking for ammunition to add to mine! :o)