Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Summer Shrimp Rolls

This was one of my most favorite dishes in a while! They taste just like summer to me...soo good!
I would guess these are called "summer" because they use fresh sweet corn and pesto. BUT, you can freeze your corn on the cob while it's good and sweet AND freeze your basil, so really, this can be a year-round recipe even using fresh ingredients!! Even Norris, who wouldn't even try my pesto chicken panini last week, really enjoyed this recipe made with pesto. It gives it such a fresh flavor.

This winner is from Rachael Ray's magazine. She suggests serving it on hot dog buns or over greens (which would also be good), but I served it on broiled Nature's Own whole wheat sandwich thins and thought they were great that way! (good open faced if you want to cut out one side of the bread). Try this while that basil in your backyard is still going wild and the farmers are still selling corn on the roadside!!

Summer Shrimp Rolls
from Rachael Ray Magazine from last summer
1.5 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)--I boiled this for about 8 minutes before using in recipe to make it a little more tender
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup pesto
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (I just sprinkled on top, since I am the only pepper eater in my household)
3 scallions, thinly sliced (I left out, but I'm sure they would be good)
salt and pepper to taste
your preferred delivery method, whether it's buns, sandwich bread, greens, or just a plate!! I broiled Swiss cheese on Norris' slices of bread so his also had a cheesy flavor on it, but I definitely don't think cheese is necessary.
Combine the mayonnaise, pesto, and lemon juice and refrigerate.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp and stir until cooked. It should be opaque/pink...will only take a few minutes.
Remove skillet from heat and stir in corn. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then combine with pesto mixture. Sprinkle with the red peppers and/or scallions and serve.

No comments: