Friday, August 6, 2010

Caramel Oatmeal Cookies

I have had some leftover Kraft Caramel bits sitting in my pantry and I noticed the expiration date was fast approaching. I love oatmeal cookies, so I went in search of something to use both oats and caramel and came across these. (I found it really funny to find these cookies with a stick of butter on Spark People..but hey, everything in moderation, right??:) They're great both warm from the oven and once cooled. I was afraid the caramel would spread a lot, but it only spread a little and then cooled nicely back into the bits of caramel throughout the cookie. I'm sure these will be well received this racing weekend :)

Vanishing Caramel Oatmeal Cookies

from Spark People
(this is a half recipe; makes about 18)

1 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups oats (original or quick)
1/2 package Kraft Caramel Bits

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Cream together melted butter and sugars. Add egg and beat. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add in flour mixture in two stages, mixing thoroughly each time. Stir in oats and caramels.
Drop rounded tablespoon size dough balls onto ungreased parchment or Silpat at least two inches apart to leave room for cookies to spread. Bake 10 minutes. When you take cookies out of oven, use the edge of a knife to reshape the edges where caramel spread. Cool on sheet pan for 3 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.

No comments: