Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tomato Bacon Cups

First of all, let me say: I hate bacon. I saw all those grotesque bacon things around Superbowl time this year, and they grossed me out. The complete mess it makes when you cook it, the stink of the house and your clothes and hair, and the grease burns are hardly worth it. I think it's more the idea that I'm eating bacon than the flavor, although I don't hesitate to put a Skittle in my mouth..hmm...but anyway. I hated it before, and now I hate it more. When I was chopping it up for this recipe, I also chopped off a chunk of my nail and finger. Norris tried to stick it back on, and we've pretty much kept it under wraps since. Hope it sticks. I hate bacon.

For Lauren and Zac's engagement party, Zac asked his mom, my mom, and I to all bring food. I had 2.5 hours to travel with mine, so I needed something I could reheat on my warming trays when I got there. Colleen gave me this idea for an appetizer that I could transport easily.

Despite the fact that I really don't like bacon, I really liked these little bites! They were great straight out of the oven, with melty cheese hanging off the sides and the biscuit bottoms were soft. After a couple hours heating up on my warming trays, however, they were not nearly as awesome. So, I would suggest serving them straight from the oven.
I also brought buffalo chicken dip, which is always a hit! Easiest thing to make, and always gone so fast.

Tomato Bacon Cups
from Colleen,slightly adapted from Paula's Pantry

Makes 40 bites

1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons real bacon bits (I cooked a package of bacon and chopped it. NEVER AGAIN!)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I like low-fat)
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/4 teaspoons dried basil
1 tube (16.3-ounces) Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.


I first sauteed the onion in about a tablespoon of margarine. You can do this or not. My stomach just really can't stand uncooked onions, so I wanted to make sure they were already cooked before I put them in the mix.
Combine the tomato, bacon bits, swiss cheese, mayo, onion and basil in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
Cut each biscuit into 5 equal wedges. Work with your fingers to make it as round as possible and press each round into a greased mini-muffin pan. Spoon tomato mixture into cups.
Bake for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is slightly bubbly. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Awww, I'm sorry these got soggy after reheating! They were fine for me - but I only popped the in the oven for a few minutes, not on warming trays. But I am glad you liked them anyway! And I can't believe you don't like bacon lol.

J.L. Danger said...

Its ok, I hate bacon too. Whenever I need it, I make Cory cook it! But then the house smells for like DAYS!