Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tender Banana Bread

In another attempt to clear the classroom fridge and cabinets for the summer (in hopes that our bond issue is getting us a sweet professional kitchen...!!)I planned an "eat from the pantry" unit to talk about how to budget food dollars and use what you have, which was really just a guise for ridding our kitchen of the extras... I started off just by holding up a few rotten, frozen, then thawed (so really bad looking!) bananas and asked who wanted a banana. They of course gave me the reaction I was looking for, and none of them knew that the best banana bread is made out of those things they are making vomiting noises over!

I know I've said this before, but I can always rely on the recipes at Good Things Catered, so I went there to find the banana bread recipe I wanted to use. I also had a random box of vanilla pudding mix on the shelf so this was the perfect recipe to try.




Tender Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3 large extra ripe bananas, mashed

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare loaf pan.
-In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pudding mix.
-Whisk to combine and set aside.
-In bowl of stand mixer, combine shortening and sugar.
-Beat on high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
-Add eggs, one at a time until thoroughly combined.
-Add milk and vanilla, then banana to mixture and combine well.
-With mixer on low, add flour mixture until just combined.
-Spread into loaf pan, tap to remove air pockets, and place in oven to bake.
-Bake loaf in oven for 1hr or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
-Let loaf cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely (or serve warm!)

1 comment:

lgraves said...

hello there! so you found me through amy's blog ... which amy. this is so random and so very perfect! how are you, where are you and what are you up to?! i'm guessing you are a fabulous cook!!! i'd love a taste tester!