Friday, March 20, 2009

Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos

This is another recipe from my allrecipes book that I have had marked for a long time to make! I have to admit, I think I was a little scared of the combo, and even while making them I was thinking I was hoping it wasn't going to be a waste of time and ingredients! They are really really good, and I can see why the original name is "addictive". I am a meat eater, and I didn't miss the meat in these, because there is substantial filling. Something fun and a little out of the ordinary to try!

I debated whether to post this, knowing Norris would see it, and that seeing the ingredients might lessen the chance that he will eat them...sometimes it's better to tell the ingredients after someone says it tastes good!! I individually wrapped them for the freezer to take to work and eat on nights I don't feel like cooking. I kept one out and had it for lunch with a big ole pile of the slaw, and they were really great!

The original creator suggests serving these with sour cream, chopped green onions, and salsa. She also suggests deep frying them, but I think I'll pass on that! You could also buy refried beans to skip the cooking and mashing step.


Appetizing, huh? At this point, I was really wondering what I was doing...



Looking a little better with cheese!!
Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos

from AllRecipes (with a few changes; link to original recipe above)

1 T vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups black beans, drained (4 cans)
2 cups water
3 T chili powder
2 t ground cumin
4 t prepared mustard
pinch cayenne pepper
3 T soy sauce
12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed (I did half whole wheat, half regular)
4 c cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese


1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Heat oil in a medium skillet and saute garlic until soft. Stir in beans and mash. Gradually stir in water and heat until warm. Remove from heat and stir in chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper, and soy sauce.

3. Divide bean mixture evenly among the warm flour tortillas. Spread sweet potatoes evenly over bean layer and top with cheese. Roll up tortillas, burrito style, and place in a singly layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. (this is the point you could freeze them to heat later)

4. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes and serve.
Yield: 12 servings




And the WW tortilla version, all ready to go. My tortilla had obviously dried out by the time I wrapped this one. Be sure to microwave your tortillas with DAMP paper towels on either side for about 40 seconds to get foldable tortillas, and then use them immediately (the last one may look like this one because it dried...:)

3 comments:

Amber said...

Those burritos look yummy! And I'm trying your slaw recipe tonight...yay!

Colleen said...

Hi Cara - these look great too! And to answer your quinoa question on my blog - I have actually never cooked with it before, but have been meaning too! I will be looking to see what you end up doing with it!

J.L. Danger said...

These burritos look great! I never would have thought of that!