Monday, August 24, 2009

Marinated Carrot Slaw with spicy shrimp

I got this idea from a neighbor from a reallllly long time ago. I was pretty surprised when my grandparents recently sent me a newspaper story showcasing "the little girl from down the street" as the top student chef in the country!! How cool!!


Her recipe is not available online, so you are just linked to the story. I used her recipe as an idea. I meant to actually use her recipe, but I copied it down and then left it at work, so I just went with the ideas that I remembered! I thought it turned out really well. I served the carrots over romaine lettuce with dried cranberries and drizzled a little extra of the marinade on top of my salad. Her original recipe also has julienned apples in it, which sounds awesome! I'll try it that way next time. I marinated some shrimp to make it spicy, cooked them, and topped the salad with that. Really good!!



Marinated Carrot Slaw

3 medium carrots, julienned
2 t spicy brown mustard
2 t olive oil
2 t white wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar
1 t sugar
pinch salt

Combine everything but the carrots in a small bowl. Add carrots and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.


Spicy Shrimp

1 lb shrimp
2 t olive oil
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t minced onion
1/2 t garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
1 T butter

Marinate shrimp overnight in everything but the butter, then cook the shrimp. When it is almost finished, add in the butter, let it melt over the hot shrimp, and serve.

No comments: