Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hers: Broccoli Salad

We have been eating saltines as a snack lately, so I decided I better actually buy some food other than dinner food at the store this week. I wanted to make some things I would like and some things Norris would like, so here's our his and hers salads!

For my bridal luncheon, my grandma requested that each guest bring a recipe for me to add to my collection. I was looking for some new ideas for this week, and came across the little file she made to put them in--fun to look back to a year ago about this time! My cousin Carianne, who I have mentioned here before for her recipes I like, gave me her recipe for broccoli salad. This would be a great side to bring to a potluck type thing, but don't forget it has mayo and leave it sitting on a picnic table all afternoon! I used the full amount of broccoli, but only made half of the dressing amount originally called for. I normally like just enough dressing on things to taste it, and this amount did the trick for me.


Broccoli Salad
2-3 bunches of broccoli, cut into florets
1 cup dried cranberries (used golden raisins)
1 small can sliced water chestnuts
roasted sliced almonds (however much you want?)
1/2 cup light mayo (could sub nonfat plain yogurt here)
1/4 cup sugar or other sweetener of choice
1 T apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine broccoli, cranberries, and water chestnuts in a large bowl. In small bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover broccoli with mayo mixture and toss together. Top with sliced almonds. Serve cold.

We have a fun few weeks ahead of us! This week, we are going out to dinner with some family members that until the last year, we didn't get to see a lot. This year, I actually get to see one of them every single day, as he is my student aide for one of my classes! So great to reconnect with family!

My class is putting on the dinner for the high school's dinner theater this week, which will be happening Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. They are putting on "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie, which is a psychological thriller. We are planning on about 180 people throughout the three nights. We get to go to the show Thursday night, which I am excited about!
Another exciting thing coming up for my class is that we were asked to put on the senior breakfast, which means feeding approximately 425 people at 7:30 in the morning on a Tuesday! What was I thinking when I agreed to that???? We are trying to think of all things we can make ahead, and that will be inexpensive to make. We have some ideas, but mostly obvious ones like pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Any other good ideas would be appreciated!

1 comment:

J.L. Danger said...

I ALWAYS do that! Either I load up on snacks and lunch, and neglect dear old dinner, or I am so focused on my menu list that I forget all about snacks!