Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bacon Pierogie Bake

With the start of spring comes the end of the "comfort food" season (in my mind anyway!). My menu planning seems to still be stuck in winter mode this week for some reason. Can't wait for more of the fresh tastes of summer, though!
This meal came together quickly and we both really liked it. I had never looked for pierogies in my grocery store and was actually surprised to find them. I got plain potato pierogies instead of potato and onion since the Mr. doesn't eat onions. My chives have just started growing again so I was excited to be able to just go outside and snip them to use on top of the dish. Anxious to see what other herbs are hiding under that dirt!!


Bacon Pierogie Bake
from Cooking Light and Cooking This and That

16 oz package frozen potato pierogies
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 mushrooms, sliced (I added this..you can omit)
1/3 cup Neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (used about 1/3 cup)
1 small plum tomato, seeded and diced (omitted)
1/4 cup thin sliced green onions (used chives)

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Place frozen pierogies in dish.
Cook bacon in a saute pan until crisp. Remove from pan. (I removed half of the drippings at this point also).
Saute garlic in drippings for 30 seconds. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add broth and whisk until combined. Pour sauce over pierogies and top with mushrooms and cheese. Be sure to cover the pierogies with sauce (turn them over if you have to) so they don't dry out on the edges. Bake for 15 minutes, then top with tomatoes and bacon and bake an additional five minutes.
Sprinkle with green onions and black pepper and serve.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Wasn't this so good and easy? Thanks for linking to me :)

Mary Ellen said...

Mm! I made a pierogie bake but it's definitely a full fat meal. I like the lower-fat options in this one and bacon, mmm, bacon. Bacon makes everything better!