Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shrimp Cobb Salad

This is a satisfying and quick main dish. Norris and I both really enjoyed it. The shrimp are amazing! I'm sure they would be great cold the next day, too, but ours didn't make it to the next day!
The dressing is really good on this, so I would suggest using it--Norris liked it, too. It's bright and citrusy and perfect for this warm weather we are finally getting! (by the way, did we skip Spring? We went from sweats to sweating in about two days!)
I have proclaimed my hate for paprika before, but loved it on these shrimp. They would be good on almost anything. If you'd rather cook outside, you can certainly grill your shrimp for this salad! I didn't put amounts on the vegetables because I think you should just adjust those according to your tastes. This salad will definitely be made again, and I will probably roast the corn next time and make it even better!


Shrimp Cobb Salad
from Cooking Light via Prevention RD

4 slices center cut bacon (I used turkey bacon)
1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 tsp paprika (I used 2/3 tsp)
1/4 tsp black pepper (plus I used some in my dressing)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt, divided (I had to use a bit more in my dressing)
2 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp whole grain Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
romaine lettuce
cherry tomatoes (omitted)
shredded carrots
frozen corn, thawed
diced avocado

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and wipe pan clean. Add 1 tsp olive oil to skillet and heat over medium heat.
Pat shrimp dry and sprinkle with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. Cook in skillet until done, flipping halfway through. This should take about two to three minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the lemon juice and mustard. Drizzle in the oil and continue to whisk. Season with salt and pepper to taste and ajust liquids to taste.
Toss lettuce, corn, carrots, and dressing together. Arrange on plate and top with shrimp and bacon.

No comments: