Monday, February 7, 2011

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

I almost always have some rotten (err...super ripe--they just look rotten to me!) bananas in the freezer that I just didn't make it to when they were still yellow. They're easy to freeze, but I found myself with about 12 of them, so I decided to finally use some of them (and to buy less bananas at the grocery store). I used the whole wheat pumpkin bread recipe that I love and just subbed in mashed banana. It wound up taking about six small bananas to get two cups of mashed.
This is really great--Norris said he would only eat it if it wasn't soggy, and I came home to a good chunk of it gone, so that's a good sign:)


Whole Wheat Banana Bread

1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 F.
Lightly grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, and salt.
In a large bowl, cream together butter, honey, and sugar for two minutes. Add in the eggs and combine. Add in pumpkin and vanilla and beat just until combined. Beat in the flour mixture 1/3 at a time, careful not to overmix.
Dissolve baking soda in hot water and beat into batter.
Stir in raisins.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake about 70 minutes, or until baked all the way through.


Nutrition Info (1 loaf=14 slices):
Calories: 187; Carbs: 37; Protein: 3.4; Fat: 5.5

No comments: