Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Turkey Chili Taco Soup

I know I have already professed my love for taco soup, but there is officially a tie after making this soup. I was a little apprehensive when refried beans were part of the ingredient list, but they just thicken it up some. It's great! It freezes easily, which is also nice. You can pack in a couple servings of vegetables plus fiber and protein in just 1 1/4 cups of this soup plus it will leave you full all afternoon. I have been eating it with a piece of fruit or yogurt for lunch and it's the perfect amount to get me through until dinner.

Turkey Chili Taco Soup

from skinnytaste.com

1 lb lean ground turkey (she suggests 1.3 lbs, but I thought this was plenty)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
10 oz can rotel tomatoes with green chiles
15 oz frozen corn
15 oz kidney beans, drained
8 oz tomato sauce
16 oz fat free refried beans (I used spicy--yum!)
1 packet taco seasoning (I used chipotle taco seasoning)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth

Brown turkey in a soup pot over medium heat. Drain and return to pan. Add onions and pepper and cook another 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer 15 minutes. Garnish with desired toppings.

Makes 9 servings

Nutritional Info:
 Calories: 212.8; Fat: 4.3; Protein: 17; Carbs: 28

No comments: