Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Squares

Quite a name, huh? Hopefully I had you at "peanut butter chocolate"! I didn't read the recipe (d'oh!) and wound up with a completely different version of the original. The original had regular rice krispie treats on the bottom then layers of peanut butter and chocolate on top, but my version had them all mixed in together. I really liked them, but I would add a little more butter/margarine and cut back on the peanut butter a bit when I make them again (I never thought I would ever say cut back on the peanut butter, either!). I sprinkled some chocolate chips into the mixture and put some on top. I popped them in the oven for a few minutes for the chocolate chips on top to melt into the bars a little. Yum!

Oh, and I almost forgot about the awesome marshmallows used to make these--chocolate/vanilla swirl! They tasted just like hot chocolate and were darn good by themselves:)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Squares
adapted from Picky Palate

6 cups rice krispie cereal
2 cups peanut butter (would change to 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup margarine (would change to 1/3 cup)
10 oz marshmallows (if you use big, chop them up to melt faster; I used half choco/vanilla swirl and half regular)
1/2 cup chocolate chips, divided

Melt margarine. Add in peanut butter and stir while heating. Add in marshmallows and stir until mixture is melted. Pour over cereal and stir together. Stir in half of the chocolate chips.
Press into greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Put in warm oven for ~5 minutes for chocolate chips to melt into bars a little. Cool, cut, and serve.

Nutrition Info (20 squares per pan):
Calories: 250; Fat: 17 g; Carbs: 21; Protein: 7.4

No comments: