Sunday, January 9, 2011

Spicy Poblano and Corn Soup

I wouldn't actually name this "spicy" if I were doing the naming, but you could make it spicy in many ways: add hotter peppers, garnish with spicy garnishes such as jalapenos or hot sauce, or add in chipotles in adobo to the pureed mixture. I added in a tiny bit of leftover taco spiced chicken just because I had it, and it added a little extra protein and bulk, not to mention flavor! You can play with this recipe however you'd like, but the original is great as is!
This is also from that great Cooking Light cookbook my coworker is letting me borrow for school. Based on the number of recipes I've already planned from it, I have a feeling this book may be making its way to my house soon! The recipes are also available online, so I may just stick to that. I made this soup for my lunches for the week--I'd say the original recipe (which says four servings) makes closer to six bowls, though. Enjoy!


Spicy Poblano and Corn Soup


from Cooking Light


16 oz frozen baby gold and white corn, thawed and divided

2 cups fat free milk, divided

4 poblano chiles, seeded and chopped (about 1 lb)

1 cup chopped onion

1 tbsp water

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese




Bring 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 cup corn to a boil over medium heat in a dutch oven.
Combine chile, onion, and water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for four minutes.
Place 2 cups corn and 1/2 cup milk in a blender and process until smooth. Add pureed mixture to heated corn mixture in dutch oven. Stir in chile mixture and salt. Cook six minutes over medium heat.
Serve with cheddar cheese. (I just stirred in the cheddar cheese since I'd be taking it for lunches and don't bring a separate garnish for school lunch!)

No comments: