Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Southwestern Chicken and White Bean Soup

This is yet another recipe from the borrowed Cooking Light cookbook! I have really liked every soup I've made from the book, but this is probably my favorite! I love taco flavored things, such as the taco soup I love, so I knew I'd like this one. The nutrition facts are also a thing to love--only 134 calories per cup of this soup. I made it into four-1 1/2 cup servings, so it still clocked in under 200 calories for a filling lunch! I skipped the sour cream and just stirred the cilantro into the whole batch since I brought it for a week of lunch at work. It tasted great all week!



serves 6 (1 cup each)

2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 tbsp taco seasoning
cooking spray
28 oz. fat free chicken broth
16 oz cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup green salsa
light sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro (optional), for garnish

Combine chicken and taco seasoning. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heatand coat with cooking spray.
Add chicken to pan and sauté until chicken is lightly browned, about three minutes. Add broth and scrape brown bits at bottom of pan (flavor!).
Place beans in a small bowl; mash until only a few whole beans remain. Add beans and salsa to pan, stirring well.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thick. Serve with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.

No comments: