Monday, January 10, 2011

Heart-Glazed Cornmeal Cookies

I know, it's a little early for Valentine's Day. Actually, we're not really in to VDay around here anyway, and I didn't feel like waiting to try this recipe! In fact, we're so not in to VDay that I scheduled a dr. appointment for that day after work. How romantic is that?? :)


Ever since a friend posted about eating a corn cookie from Milk bar in New York, I have been wanting one myself! The site says it has corn powder and corn flour. I have been on the lookout, but it seems everyone else is just looking too, since Google always turns up other people searching for the recipe, but nobody ever actually posting it. I was flipping through a magazine I get for school-- Martha Stewart's Food--and found a cornmeal cookie that I knew I had to try. I really liked these, and so did Norris. The corn is not a strong flavor--the sweet corn flavor reminds me of my favorite Golden Sweet cornbread. I really really liked these (will definitely make them again--like a sugar cookie but SO much faster of a process), but I'm still on the lookout for the moist corn cookie from Milk bar if you happen to come across it!! :)


Heart-Glazed Cornmeal Cookies
from Martha Stewart
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 drops red or pink food coloring
Preheat oven to 400 F. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, and salt.
Cream butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar until creamy, about 3 minutes.
Add in egg and 1 tsp vanilla and beat until combined.
With mixer running, add in flour mixture.
Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on lined baking sheet and flatten balls with the bottom of a glass. Press a cookie cutter into the cookie, but don't cut all the way through. Bake until they have golden edges, rotating pans halfway through. They will bake around 12 minutes, but check at 10.
Let cookies cool on wire rack.
Whisk together powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla, and 1 3/4 tsp cold water. Whisk in food coloring. Glaze cookies and let cool.
Martha says they make 40, but I got 24 and they weren't huge. She must have made quarter sized cookies!!

No comments: