Monday, August 11, 2008

Steak and Potato Salad


Tonight I made a steak and potato salad. I was walking through the store the other day and saw it on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens, but didn't want to pay for the whole magazine for one recipe, and thankfully they had it on their site!



Steak and Potato Salad


Prep: 30 min. Roast: 50 min. Grill: 10 min.

Ingredients
2 lbs. small new Yukon Gold potatoes, halved or quartered
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 to 2 lb. ribeye steaks, cut 1-inch thick
2 heads romaine lettuce
1 recipe Salsa Verde, below
5 green onions, thinly sliced
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place potatoes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast, uncovered, 50 to 60 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, brush remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil on steaks. Season with salt and pepper. For charcoal grill, grill steaks on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals, 10 to 12 minutes (145 degrees F for medium-rare), turning once. (For gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steaks on rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.)
3. Slice romaine into six 2-inch-thick slices, reserving tops for another use. Prepare Salsa Verde.
4. Place slice of romaine on each serving plate; drizzle; with 1/2 of the Salsa Verde. Toss warm potatoes with remaining sauce and green onions. Spoon onto romaine. Thinly slice steak and place on top of potatoes. Makes 6 servings.
5. Salsa Verde: In bowl combine 1/2 cup chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons chopped chives, 3 tablespoons drained capers, 2 teaspoons chopped oregano, 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, and 2 cloves minced
I cooked my steaks in a really hot stovetop pan, since we ran out of propane! I pan seared them on really high heat for a minute or so on each side to lock in all the juices, then brought the heat down a little to finish the cooking. Next time, I would have left them a little pink in the middle for more tenderness. The roasted potatoes were amazing, especially with the dressing! I added spicy garlic seasoning to the dressing to give it a little kick. I blended the dressing in my food processor because I like all the ingredients blended really well.
Do what you want with it---it's an awesome meal, and (score for me!) it actually filled Norris up, which is a big deal around here!:)
And I actually remembered to take a picture of the meal--this is my version!

No comments: