Monday, January 9, 2012

Crockpot Steak and Potato Soup

Woah, I just signed on to post this and it told me my last post was my 500th. That's a lot of rambling and a lot of food! It will be fun to look back on and is a great place to store my recipes for my own reference. Hopefully someone out there is also finding something that works for you!

After I sat down to eat this, I finally realized it was basically beef stew in the crockpot. DUH. I jazzed up a version I found on Betty Crocker and came out with a good, comforting product. Norris loves this Campbell's steak and potato soup and I made this in an effort for him to eat the real stuff instead of the canned stuff. I served it with blueberry muffins and it made a great, filling, hot meal, even for my meat and potatoes guy!


Crockpot Steak and Potato Soup

8 cups beef broth
3 carrots, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 lb beef steak (whatever cut you would like to use...the only good looking and good priced ones at my store were petite sirloins, so I used those)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb small red potatoes, diced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup flour

**fresh spinach

Combine everything except water and flour in 5 qt crockpot and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
Whisk flour into 1/2 cup water until well blended. Pour into crockpot and cook on high for thirty minutes, then serve. While you wait for that, bake up a batch of fresh bread to serve with the soup!

**I had some extra fresh spinach in the fridge that needed to be used, so I tossed a large handful in my bowl on top of the soup then stirred it in to wilt. I really liked the addition!

Makes 8 large bowls

adapted from Betty Crocker




No comments: