Monday, January 23, 2012

Blonde Chicken Chili

This one's for you, Granddad! My cousins always called my granddad "dadnarg" and I could never figure out why they called him that, so I just never called him that. I guess I figured it was some thing somebody used to call him (you know, like when little kids call their siblings something before they can speak very well and then it sticks). Finally one day in high school (pretty sure it wasn't all the way to college!!), the light bulb came on and I exclaimed "dadnarg is granddad spelled backward!!" as if I was the first one to figure that out. DUH!! Ever since then, Granddad has lovingly called me Blondie:)
PS- I promise I'm smarter than that in real life:)
Anyway, this is blonde chicken chili. I really like white chili and have loved Cha Cha's White Chicken Chili in the past. Our internet was out the day I intended to make Cha Cha's, so I wanted to see a recipe for another version. I based mine off of Michelle's recipe. It reheated really well and on most days, I stirred in a little hot sauce or buffalo sauce along with some shredded cheese. Good stuff!




Blonde Chicken Chili

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cooked and cubed
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
8 oz chopped green chiles
30 oz canned great Northern beans, undrained
15 oz white or yellow corn (depending on if you want a bleach blonde or a yellow blonde;)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper



In a medium sized stockpot, cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until all pieces are evenly brown. Stir in the onions. Cook until translucent. Drain mixture and set aside.
In the same pot, bring the chicken broth and green chile peppers to a boil. Stir in great northern beans, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cilantro and crushed red pepper. Stir in the chicken and onion mixture, and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes or longer, adding additional beans from the remaining cans for a thicker consistency as desired.
OR Do what I did and toss everything in a crockpot and eat it when you get home, whenever that may be!:)
adapted from allrecipes






No comments: