Thursday, July 1, 2010

Israeli Couscous with Herb Vinaigrette and feta

The only way I can make sure to actually eat my servings of veggies and fruits every day is to have them already cut up--otherwise when I'm hungry for lunch, I'm already hungry and don't want to take the time! I assembled this soooo good salad yesterday for lunch--romaine with green peppers, broccoli, chicken chunks, a little scoop of roasted garlic hummus, and a topping of Israeli couscous salad, the recipe I am posting today. If the strawberries "accidentally" get mixed in, it makes the salad even better--chicken and strawberries are so good together! (which makes me crave this, something I need to make again soon!)


Israeli Couscous with feta and herb vinaigrette
1 cup Israeli couscous
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
dash of crushed red pepper
Dressing:
1 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp salt
dash black pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
feta to taste
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and toast couscous for about 3 minutes. Add water, broth, and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for about 12 minutes, or according to package instructions. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Whisk together dressing ingredients and drizzle over finished couscous. Combine with feta. Serve hot or cold.
*also great with roasted vegetables mixed in it!!
**I went searching for a recipe variation of this to see who else has made a similar recipe, and it is in a bunch of different places. Seems as though maybe Bobby Flay started it, although I see lots of variations!

No comments: