Monday, July 26, 2010

Garlic Lime Shrimp Tostadas

Yum!! I have been craving shrimp and looking at a ton of shrimp recipes that I can't wait to try. This one is actually from a McCormick's Recipe Inspirations. My aunt bought me a couple of these just to see what they were, and they're actually premeasured spices that come with the recipe. You add the protein, liquids, etc., but these would be great for a beginning cook or college student! I remember when I didn't have many spices and I would hate to buy a whole bottle of a spice just for the 1/2 tsp. and not even know whether I would like that spice! Now that I have a ton of them, I know I'll be able to recreate this from my own collection, but it's always fun to try new products! Thanks, DD! :)
Anyway, this package actually said Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas, but I had some corn tortillas and shrimp, so decided to do a baked tostada. I have mentioned this before, but rather than frying a corn tortilla to make my tostada base, I put it under the broiler and crisp up both sides. Works great every time! Tostadas are a quick go-to meal in my house and we both love them!
The flavor of this marinade was very good! It would also be excellent with chicken.
Garlic Lime Shrimp Tostadas

1 tsp minced dried garlic (can replace with fresh)
1 tsp dried onion
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1/4 cup each of lime and orange juices (I used about 1/3 cup of lime only)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 to 1.5 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (they call for 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips)
any tostada fixings you like!

Mix all ingredients together in a zip top bag and marinate for at least 30 minutes or longer for more pronounced flavor. (I marinated for about 5 hours)
I cooked the shrimp and diced up red bell peppers together in some of the marinade while the tortilla was under the broiler. Then, spread on fat free refried beans, the shrimp mixture, and a sprinkle of sharp cheddar and popped it back under the broiler until the cheese was melted. Topped with salsa and sour cream..so good! The lime and garlic flavors pulled through even with all my other fixings, but were just the right amount of flavor.

No comments: