Saturday, July 18, 2009

Creamy Poppyseed Dressing

Molly showed off her pretty chicken and strawberry salad, and it reminded me again how much I like that combo (remember this Parmesan Stuffed Chicken with Melted Strawberries? mmm....) and I especially like it in salads. My parents were coming to town, so I needed to make a quick light lunch so we'd be full but still have room for the steakhouse celebration later for my grandparent's 55th anniversary!!

I may have mentioned this before, but I have been slowly working my way into thinking mayonnaise isn't quite as disgusting as I thought it was. But, nutritionally, it's still pretty disgusting (I know, I know, there's fat free also!). I have been trying to use plain nonfat yogurt in recipes lately to add moisture and creaminess, and it worked perfectly in this dressing. I browsed some different options and ultimately decided to make my own version of the creamy poppyseed dressing.


Creamy Poppyseed Dressing


1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup light mayo (or do all yogurt)
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 T sugar
3 T Splenda
2 t poppyseeds
Combine and let chill.
I served this with a salad of mixed greens, sliced strawberries, chicken (chopped and sauteed in a tiny amount of olive oil plus S+P), and croutons.

LOOK!! Even my dad liked it! (well, he ate it anyway!) And Norris ate it too...double man approved!

We are currently about knee deep in moving boxes. We should probably be elbow deep by now, but instead of packing we are celebrating our last weekend in the house with a fish fry! Norris caught and filleted the fish, I am making homemade hushpuppies, tartar sauce, and chocolate butterscotch cookies, and we are making coffee can mint juleps! Packing can wait, right?.... :)

1 comment:

Molly said...

I forgot to mention that I tried the stuffed chicken recipe before...good stuff!
Thanks for the salad shoutout. ;-) I'll have to give this dressing a try!