Sunday, February 22, 2009

Blueberry Buckle


I've been craving cobbler or crisp of some sort for the last few days, after seeing these. (How good do THOSE look...yumm!!! They're called Savannah bars. I need one:) I saw a lot of great recipes in my search for satisfying the craving, but also wanted to stay on the lighter side, if possible. I found this recipe in my book called "Lickety Split Meals" by Zonya Foco, a registered dietician. I have liked about every recipe I've tried from her book. She has lots of good information and suggestions along with recipes, also. I listed nutritional info, if you're interested. Also, if you're interested, find me a Savannah bar! :) Please!


In case you're wondering, that's a little frozen Cool Whip Lite on the side. Does the same trick as ice cream/ frozen yogurt, but better nutrition facts, and I always use less than I would of ice cream!

Blueberry Buckle
From Lickety Split Meals by Zonya Foco
4 servings

12 oz frozen blueberries, thawed (or 1 point fresh blueberries, washed and drained)
1 ½ T sugar
¼ c orange juice
¼ c whole wheat flour
¼ c AP flour
2 T sugar
2 T Splenda
½ t baking powder
1 ½ egg whites
1/8 t almond extract (optional)
1 ½ t Splenda

Coat a small baking dish (half casserole size) with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Spread blueberries in baking dish. Sprinkle 1 ½ T sugar on top.
In a medium bowl, mix together orange juice, flours, 2 T sugar, 2 T Splenda, baking powder, egg whites, and almond extract. Drop 9 equal spoonfuls on top of blueberries in 3 rows of 3.
Sprinkle 1 ½ t Splenda over dough. Bake for 35 minutes or until cake is lightly browned.
Serve warm with a scoop of fat free vanilla ice cream or yogurt!
**She actually says in the book—(quoted from p. 287)- “Don’t feel guilty eating it for breakfast either. It’s just as nutritious as toast with jam and fruit!” YAY!!!
Calories: 165 Fat: less than 1 g Fiber: 4 g Sodium: 72 mg Carb: 39 g
Protein: 3 g


I had to make some dinner food to eat before this, so I settled on this. A simple, classic recipe that's easy, tastes great, and warms on a cold night. Perfect weeknight meal.

Simple Baked Chicken and Rice
4 servings
From Lickety Split Meals by Zonya Foco
1 can cream of chicken soup (98% fat free)
15 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
1/3 c fat free sour cream or plain yogurt
16 oz. California blend frozen vegetables (optional)
4 boneless skinless chicken tenderloins (2 breasts), cooked
1 ½ c instant whole grain brown rice
1 t dried onion flakes
10 grinds fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 F. Stir cream of chicken soup, broth, and sour cream together in a 9x13 baking dish.
Add veggies, chicken, rice, onion flakes, and pepper to dish and stir.
Cover and put in oven to bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, uncover and bake another 10 minutes.
Nutrition Info:
Calories: 340 Fat: 5.5 g Fiber: 7 g Carb: 50 g

2 comments:

priscilla joy said...

Yum! This looks good. I love blueberry anything.

Unknown said...

Yum, I agree, I always use cool whip too!