Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Panda Express" Honey Walnut Shrimp

We have been to Panda Express a few times and the honey walnut shrimp is amaaaazing. I don't have a "normal" order because I've only been there a few times, but I have had a bite or two of this each time and know it's good. Norris requested that I make it at home and we loved this, too. It has a few more dishes than my typical weeknight meal, but they were worth it. I will use this coating technique for shrimp in any sauce again. Norris liked it so much that he suggested I use this recipe for school, and I know the kids would also love it!




"Panda Express" Honey Walnut Shrimp

1lb large shrimp (peeled and deveined, with tails removed)
1 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
½ cup walnuts
4 egg whites
2/3 cup cornstarch
¼ cup light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons honey
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp milk (skim works)
1 cup oil (for frying)
 
Bring the water and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the walnuts and boil for two minutes, then drain and spread on a baking sheet or plate to dry.
Meanwhile, beat egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy (a mixer makes quick work out of this). Add cornstarch and stir until thickened.
Combine mayonnaise, honey, 1 tbsp sugar, and milk in a small saucepan and keep warm.
Heat oil in frying pan or deep fryer. Dip shrimp in egg white batter, shake off excess, and fry in hot oil until golden brown, or about four minutes. Drain on paper towels. Toss shrimp in warm mayonnaise sauce, then toss with walnuts and serve.


adapted from allsecretrestaurantrecipes

No comments: