Saturday, April 7, 2012

Blood Orange Sorbet

The two grocery stores closest to our house are Walmart and a locally owned grocery store. I prefer to give the local grocer my business and go there as often as I can, but sometimes they just don't have what I need. They do always have a better produce section and I was surprised and excited to see bags of blood oranges on sale for 49 cents (per bag!!) a few weeks ago. I don't know why they were so cheap, but I was really excited to see them and for that price! I had seen some different blood orange recipes, but the sorbet immediately popped in my head when I saw them at the store.
Sometimes the freezer is where things go to die in our house...leftovers that we didn't love that I think I'll take for lunch in the following weeks, leftover pancakes, even items from friends freezers as they were moving that we thought we would use instead of waste. This sorbet did not go to die in the freezer. I enjoyed it thoroughly and was a little sad when it was gone because I don't know when I'll be able to purchase blood oranges again. You could use any citrus fruit juice--regular oranges, grapefruit (yum!!), lime, lemon, whatever you think sounds good. It's a great dessert for this warm weather--it's perfectly light and refreshing. Plus, it's easy to make!


Blood Orange Sorbet

1 cup blood orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons sparkling white wine, optional (I used some leftover Riesling)

First--be sure you freeze the container of your ice cream maker for the recommended amount of time!
Combien 1/4 of the blood orange juice with the sugar over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in remaining blood orange juice and white wine. Chill thoroughly, then freeze according to ice cream maker's manufacturer's instructions.

from Dave Lebovitz via Annie's Eats

No comments: