Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hungry Girl's Freakishly Good French Onion Soup

This is a waaay slimmed down version of the restaurant soup, which I discovered on average has over 500 calories in a bowl!



This is from the Hungry Girl cookbook--but just a simple recipe that makes sense and tastes really good. I made four servings to keep in the fridge for lunches.



French Onion Soup



1 cup fat free beef broth

1/4 onion, thinly sliced

1/2 slice light bread

1 slice reduced fat provolone cheese (I used a sprinkle of mozzarella instead)



Toast bread and set aside.

Instead of her instructions here, I wanted my onions to cook longer. I put them all in a large pan coated with nonstick spray to cook down. When they needed a little liquid, I added some beef broth a few times. Once they were nice and cooked, I added the broth and simmered it.

Transfer the soup (amount you want) to a microwave safe bowl, top with toasted bread, then cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds or until cheese melts.



Per serving: 113 calories, 4.5 grams of fat

No comments: