Thursday, June 3, 2010

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes

Last night on the way home, I was thinking about breakfast (as I often do before bed because I get way too excited about it:) and realizing we didn't really have much left. We will both kind of be in and out over the next week or so, and we are trying to save a little cash by eating from what we have, so I was thinking of how great whole wheat oatmeal pancakes sounded. A search led me to epicurious and their version, which I thought was really great! The changes I made are noted below. use old fashioned oats (since that's what we had) and soaked them for about 20 minutes, and then I had to add about 2 more Tbsp of flour since the batter was so thin. They're great!! How good would they be with cooked cinnamon apples on top?? YUM!



Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes


from epicurious
3/4 cup oats
1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tbsp skim milk, divided
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
scant 1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1 tbsp packed brown sugar

Soak oats in 3/4 cup milk for 10 minutes if using quick oats, 20 minutes for old fashioned.
While oats soak, whisk together all other dry ingredients except brown sugar.
Stir in egg, butter, brown sugar, the rest of the milk, and the oat mixture until just combined.
Heat a griddle over medium high heat and spray with oil if necessary. Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake and cook until bubbles appear on surface and pop. Flip and cook about 1 more minute.

In other news, I have really felt like summer for my first few days! Scheduled dr. appt's, etc., cleaned out my closet for Goodwill, time to exercise every day, and work on my tan. This is awesome! Life will get much busier in the weeks to come, but it's nice to relax a while for sure! I also found out that the dogs do exactly what I suspected all day long (except that they're normally outside doing this when we're not here!)

No comments: