Thursday, August 13, 2009

Smoky Grilled Red Potato Salad


I had to greet you with this precious face:)
This is my favorite recipe I have posted in a while!!! I have had my eye on this since before Colleen actually even made it--when she was talking about this idea she had for grilled potato salad! Potato salad isn't something I typically make just to have around, but we were going to a barbecue, so it seemed like the perfect time to give it a try. I like how she describes it as a delicious variation of a loaded baked potato, because I'm pretty sure everybody likes those! I don't even like regular potato salad, mayonnaise, OR bacon, but I thought this was pretty good! The people who ate it at the barbecue said they loved it, too!

The only thing I did differently was use my broiler instead of the actual grill. It's WAY too hot outside to go start the grill. I'll try it again this fall for football season and see what it's like on the grill.

As I said before, this recipe is from Colleen, who dreamed it up herself. Thanks for sharing!

Smoky Grilled Red Potato Salad
from Colleen's Kitchen
Makes about 8 side dish servings
about 2 pounds red potatoes
olive oil
kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper
1 cup low fat mayo
1 tablespoon barbeque sauce (we like Sweet Baby Ray's)
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
2 ounces REAL Bacon Bits (1/2 of a 4-ounce bag)
1 cup coarsely shredded cheddar cheese
Thickly slice scrubbed potatoes and quarter each slice. Toss in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste and gently mix to combine.
Combine mayo, barbecue sauce, and salt and pepper in a large bowl; set aside.
Heat the grill to medium-high. Lay potatoes on a piece of non-stick foil and place directly on the grill. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning potatoes so that they cook evenly on both sides. You will know they are finished when they look golden-brown and crispy.
Transfer potatoes to the large bowl with mayo mixture. Gently toss until combined. Once the potatoes have cooled a little bit (so that cheese doesn't melt), add green onions, bacon bits, and cheese; mix again.
Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

YAY! I am so excited that you made this AND liked it! It is especially exciting since I actually made up the recipe, this makes me happy :)